The i.Lab Incubator Program supports the development of new entrepreneurs and the growth of promising early-stage ventures.
We provide this support through a combination of programs, funding, workspace, committed mentors, industry experts, free legal services, a community of founders and funders, and connections to a range of resources.
Since its first cohort in 2000, and including the 2018 cohort, the Incubator program will have provided nearly $1.5 million in grants to greater than 240 companies, supporting nearly 450 founding team members.
The i.Lab Incubator program is open to seed and early stage ventures from the Charlottesville community. We welcome applications from both for-profit and not-for-profit ventures, and from ventures with a direct affiliation to UVA (e.g., faculty, staff, or student) or without a direct affiliation to UVA.
If you have any specific questions about the process, contact Sandra McCutcheon.
THe incubator Program Provides:
- $5,000 grant to the company (i.e., we do not take an equity stake);
- Dedicated workspace for 10 weeks (w/co-working option for up to one year);
- Weekly workshops and new venture curriculum;
- Legal support (e.g., incorporation, operating agreements);
- Mentorship from experienced founders and industry experts;
- Community and Connections.
Ventures in the Program commit to:
- Participating—full-time—in the 10-week residential program at the i.Lab in Charlottesville;
- Participating in key i.Lab events throughout the year;
- Being a positive and contributing member of and resource to the i.Lab community.
TIMELINE - 2018 Incubator Program
January 3: Online application available. (recommend submitting January 22 - 23)
January 24: Applications due by 1:00 PM EST (1300 EST) - no exceptions
February 7 - 9: Applicant interviews (by invitation)
February 16: Announcement of 2018 Class
February 26: Commitments Due and Law Clinic Mixer
April 27: Darden Alumni Fair i.Lab Venture Showcase (i.Lab companies are required to participate)
2018 Incubator: June 4 - August 10
Downloadable PDF 2018 Incubator Application (for reference)